Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dancing

I have always loved to dance. When I was younger, like in high school, I tried out for the cheerleading squad because I wanted to learn a new dance. I sort of bombed it, but I really enjoyed learning the dance. It meant that I had to get up earlier than I would have liked on school days, but it was a good thing for me because I got to learn something new.

I didn't necessarily want to be a cheerleader (because let's face it- the cheer coach at WHS worked the cheerleaders really hard and it was also really expensive), I just wanted to learn a new dance.

At BYU-Idaho, I hadn't planned on trying out for the Collegiate World dance team partially because I didn't want to get up early for practices (they were on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:30-10am and I wasn't too crazy about getting up that early). My friend that I had TAed for the year before recruited me to tryouts and I ended up making it. I tell you what, there are very few things that I am willing to get up before 7am and dance is one of those things. It was totally worth it, though. I had great teammates and we became really close friends. We learned four awesome dances- Bollywood (my personal favorite), Russian, Scottish, and a clogging dance. I had a blast.

I like to go on youtube and find dances to songs from movies that I really enjoy. For instance, I am trying to learn the entire dance to Jai Ho, which is a song from the movie Slumdog Millionaire. I am also in the process of learning one of the dances from the DCOM (Disney Channel Original Movie) Camp Rock 2. The song is called "Can't Back Down" and the dance looks like it is so much fun, so I've been watching the music video repetitively to see if I can learn the dance before the movie comes out in June.

I started choreographing a Bollywood dance last year before I headed back to school, but I didn't have enough time to really do anything with it, so I stopped. But maybe while I'm home this summer, I can learn some more dance move and learn the entire dance to "Can't Back Down."

No comments: